MTC’s tutoring program provides individualized attention to students, assisting our local schools in meeting students’ unique needs. Tutors support their students by working with them directly on the specific areas where they are struggling. Each year, MTC places volunteer tutors in Los Altos and Mountain View schools, from kindergarten through 8th grade.
MTC’s Remote Tutoring Program is designed to support K – 8th grade students during this unique school year and beyond. While distance learning creates a variety of challenges for schools and parents, MTC is providing much-needed additional academic support. The Remote Tutoring program meets the needs of students at various grade levels and range of learning styles. Currently, the program offers:
- One-on-one tutoring: Tutors work directly with a student on a desired subject, typically math or language arts. This program is delivered via an easy-to-use online tutoring platform.
- Reading Fellows: Reading Fellows is an interventional program in LASD that matches tutors with students who are struggling to learn to read. It involves an intensive training (in addition to our New Tutor Training) & provides a very structured format for tutoring in which the tutor meets daily with their student (4 or 5 days/week) for 30 minute sessions. The sessions follow the same format every day. Reading Fellow matches are a minimum of 6 weeks. Reading Fellows originated from Teachers College at Columbia University & has proven to be very impactful for students & rewarding for tutors. The 2021-2022 cycle dates for Reading Fellows are:
- September 6 – October 8 (Refresher RF Training: Week of August 30)
- October 11 – November 19 (Training: Week of October 4th)
- January 10 – February 18 (Training: Week of January 3)
- February 28 – April 8 (Training: Week of February 14)
- April 18 – May 27 (Training: Week of April 4)
MTC allows tutors to engage students online in a fun and interactive way. All MTC volunteer tutors receive training on our online platforms!
While we all look forward to the day when tutors can return to the classroom, we are confident that our remote tutoring platform will continue to support our community until (and even after) that day arrives.